Saturday, March 1, 2014

First Post

This is a blog I'm creating inspired by some one game-a-week blogs going on (Rami Ismail's article at http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RamiIsmail/20140226/211807/Game_A_Week_Getting_Experienced_At_Failure.php, and Adriel Wallick's blog  http://www.adrielwallick.com/blog/).  So the point is for us to create some games quickly, with short iteration times and quick prototyping.  The point is not to make full-fledged games, but instead to come up with an idea which can be prototyped in a week using tools we may/may not be used to.  This will allow me to explore my coding process even more (outside of work/academia) as well as explore new technologies (such as HTML5) to learn from.  Some of these ideas may be fleshed out later, but for this blog each game will end after a week, meaning that no new game will come out that is a direct iteration off a previous game (now exploring ideas from previous game ideas is permissible).  Since my schedule is pretty busy, Sunday will be the deadline day.  This means that if something ends early, we could start on the next week's game a bit early.  We'll see if that actually happens!  I would like to present the game idea the week before, and if I have more ideas I will sketch them down in a to-be-completed-later log.  Before the start of each game's week, I will post the idea, and the next weekend a game should come from that.  This is a challenge to me, my management of time, team structure (if someone else is working on it with me), and my programming skills.  The main use for this challenge is for me/us/the community to learn, make mistakes, learn from those mistakes, and to see the simple joy in completing projects, no matter how shitty simple they are :-)

-Scyfris

No comments:

Post a Comment