Thursday, April 17, 2014

Week 5: Mole Messiah

Wow, this week was crazy.  I had a paper deadline for a conference I was submitting to and didn't get but 4 hours to work on the game this week :-S Despite that, I managed to build something (thanks to the fast prototyping capabilities of Gamemaker) and I learned a little more about Gamemaker Studio as well.  I wouldn't really want to use it for production games, but it's great for fast prototyping.  The reason I wouldn't use it in production is that I would like more control over things, such as object hierarchies, being able to use other tools in the pipeline, more control over the logic of the game.  I think I'll end up purchasing it in the long run since I can make some decent 2D games from it, but I for production games I'll probably require something a little more heavyweight (or lightweight depending on how you look at it.  I mean heavyweight in the sense of control).  Next week I'll be examining the Moai API for building (http://getmoai.com/).  I'll probably return to Gamemaker and test out some more advanced features later.

Anyways, this week was a Whack-a-Mole game where the moles appear and disappear very fast.  Additionally, there is a "Messiah" mole that , when hit, will end the game.  Also, when the timer runs out the game is over.  You will notice the lack of graphics and user interface :-)  But, fun little experiment with GM:S.


No comments:

Post a Comment